Reverse Ageism: An Age Old Problem with a Plot Twist

8:00 AM


A 2014 study showed that black women are the most educated group in the United States, outranking every other race and gender in college enrollment. If you are a woman of color, you already know that you've had two strikes against you since birth. We still have many (many many) steps to take before we are even close to an equal playing ground with our white, male counterparts, but this is a step in the right direction, right? There shouldn't be anymore obstacles to overcome after we pass race and gender, right? Hate to break it to you, but there's someone new on the pitcher's mound so be prepared for strike three. 


The term ageism was coined in 1969 to define the stereotyping and discriminating against individuals or groups on the basis of their age. In that time, the term referred specifically to older individuals who had spent decades in the workforce. Now, millennial's and generation Y can look forward to another closely tied concept called reverse ageism. Yup, that's right. Along with overcoming obstacles based on race or ethnicity and gender, let's go ahead and add age into that as well. For my non-WOC readers, don't feel left out - this will definitely affect you as well. 

According to an article from the Wall Street Journal, many employers are adopting a "last in, first out" policy to prevent age-discrimination lawsuits. Increasingly so over the last few years, the majority of those being laid off are younger employees. "While no age group is exempt from layoffs, younger workers seem to be shouldering a larger percentage of the burden, according to recent Labor Department figures," WSJ notes.  
Not only is this in regards to layoffs, reverse ageism happens even in the workplace. In the measly six months that I've been employed full time, I would have to say that someone brings up my age at least four or five times a week. Whether asking if I've seen a movie that came out at any point in the 90s or referencing my "millennial-like" lingo, I am always aware that I am new to the grown up table. Try as I might to adapt to my coworkers way of thinking, I've realized that I just don't fit in. Never mind the fact that I am one of two African American's that I see on a daily basis.  

My boss, who is dreading her upcoming thirty-first birthday, is the one who I feel youngest around. In an office surrounded by physicians who've spent nearly two decades at the practice, the person who makes me feel most self conscious about myself is a staggering nine years older than me. Every time she says something, I think to myself "why does it matter if I know who Jem & the Holograms are? Isn't it more important that I know how to update a website or write a press release?" Not really. She may joke about it (often) and laugh it off, but what it really comes down to is relatability. Can I identify with you? Can I relate to you? I'm not expecting getting the boot anytime soon but understanding how reverse ageism could affect me not only as a millennial but as a female, African American millennial definitely has me on my P's & Q's. 

Have any of you experienced reverse ageism in the workplace? What are your thoughts on the concept as a millennial just entering the workforce? I'd love to hear what your thoughts!

You Might Also Like

0 comments

COMMUNITY