Adultify Your Morning Routine

10:30 AM

Nowadays, it seems like everything has been "adultified." The same way our grocery shopping habits have started including more fresh fruits and veggies rather than Ramen noodles and Pop-Tarts, our mourning morning routine must be adultified as well. Even though waking up for work sucks just as bad as waking up for an 8AM class, these guidelines will help you create a morning routine suited for the adult we all wish we could be.


First and foremost, stop hitting "Snooze." I too find it incredibly hard to drag myself out of my comfy bed at 6:45 in the morning but I try my hardest not to hit snooze. Here's why: when you hit snooze and roll over for another 10 minutes of shut-eye, your body starts to re-enter sleep mode. There's no possible way that your body can get any true rest from 10 minutes because you're entering into a sleep that you can't finish. Which is why you feel so groggy and exhausted when you actually do get up and end up needed two cups of coffee just to make it to 10 o'clock. Move that alarm clock across the room so that you absolutely have to get up. You'll hate it for the first five minutes but you'll set you body up for success!

Start your day with something you love. Every morning, I turn my television to TNT and watch half an episode of "Charmed" before I go to work. (Yes, it's weird. Nope, don't care.) It's been one of my favorite shows since I was seven or eight. Even though I've seen all of the episodes, I still watch it every single morning. Why? Because I'd rather start my day off with something I like than sluggishly get dressed. TV just happens to be mine so find yours! Turn on some music, listen to a podcast - expose yourself to something that you really like before making your way to work.

Make a couple minutes to read over your to-do list. If you're anything like me, you have lists on top of lists on top of lists in your planner. I've condensed the number of lists to one or two per day so I'm getting there. But what really helps is actually seeing what I've got to do first thing in the morning. Normally, as I am doing my hair, I start looking over my list from the day before. Actually seeing what I have to do that day puts me in the mindset to be productive.

Grab something for breakfast. I personally can't eat breakfast at 7 AM and last until noon or 1 o'clock for lunch. It just ain't happening. But I will grab a yogurt or make an omelet to eat when I get to work an hour later. They (whoever they are) don't say breakfast is the most important meal in the day for nothing. Get your body ready to take on the day! You can run only so far without something to break your fast (get it?) and two cups of coffee doesn't count.

Pray or meditate and catch up. I have read many articles that say you're supposed to pray or meditate as soon as you wake up. Well guess what? As soon as I wake up, all I care about is making it to work on time. Not to say that I don't value and love my time with The Lord, but first thing in the morning, I find it really really hard to concentrate on my scripture. That's why I save this moment for my car ride. It takes me about 20 minutes to get to work. I spend half of that time either praying or thinking about the message on Sunday. The other half is spent reading theSkimm or listening to a podcast or radio show. I think it's pretty important to know what's going on in the world so I always try to stay in the know!

Right before you walk into work or class - it's time for a pep talk. My pep talk consists of two deep breaths and me saying: "Kayla, you're the shit. So don't take anyone else's. But be nice because you still have bills to pay." Selfish and conceited are two completely different things. Liking yourself and encouraging yourself is totally necessary! Compliment yourself and hype yourself up before going to starting your day.


What's part of your morning routine?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

COMMUNITY