First Job Chronicles: Adjusting to Transition

8:30 AM


Even though we know it's inevitable, sometimes change has a tendency to freak us out. The slightest switch ups can change our entire attitudes. Even with my disdain for extreme change, I chose to work in marketing and public relations. (I know I’m a crazy person.) About three months ago, the company I work for went through a huge transition. It was done in the best interest of the patients but a lot of the changes have been just as frustrating for the patients and employees alike. In the past few weeks, everyone has fallen into step with their position in the new company but it has been difficult. Seeing as how I'm on the tail-end of my transition, I thought this might be the perfect time to give some advice on getting through it. Whether transitioning from college to the real world or one major to another, these tips will (hopefully) make your adjustment as easy as possible. 

Take it Slow: Most of the people I work with anticipated everything to get better immediately. It takes time. A brand new company means a brand new group of people and new processes. Getting the hang of those changes is going to take some time so don't expect for everything to go right in the first week or even month of a transition.  

Avoid "Warrior Mode": Like I mentioned early, a new company means new people to work with. With not against. These people have been doing things their way for years. Every company has their own way of working so reaffiliating with new management changes the way everybody is going to get things done. Avoid resorting to warrior mode and try to compromise. 

Keep Your Attitude in Check: When you're caught in the middle of a huge change, it's very easy to get upset. Trust me. Not being able to see what's on the horizon or even the light at the end of the tunnel is infuriating, especially for control freaks like me. However, that doesn't mean you can take it out on the rest of your coworkers. Now is not the time for smart-mouthing or sarcastic comments. Maintaining a positive attitude shows that you can work well in uncomfortable situations and your employer will appreciate you keeping everyone looking on the bright side! 

You're Not In This Alone: EVERYONE is going through the same thing you are. Be open and honest with your boss about your questions or concerns. I spent at least three weeks scared to ask my supervisor about the transition. I knew I wouldn't lose my job but what else was in store? Would my job duties be the same? Who else am I working with? After weeks of stressing,  I opened up to her about my frustrations. Surprisingly, she was just as curious. Even though she couldn't answer a majority of my questions, she reassured me that anything she learned about our positions would be shared with me. It was reassuring to know that someone had the some concerns as I did. 
How do you adjust in times of transition? What tips do you have for people going through the same thing? 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

COMMUNITY