WASHING AWAY YOUR WORRIES

4:48 PM

I am a worrier. I hate being unaware and uninformed. If something isn't going right (a.k.a my way), I get freaked out. Worrying is definitely one of the things that I told myself I would work on this year. Prime example: one of my classes is not only kicking my ass, it's serving it to me on a silver platter. Why oh why I ever thought that an upper-level linguistics class would be interesting is beyond me. In said class, I have an exam on Thursday. One might ask: "Shouldn't you be studying instead of worrying/blogging/Food Network watching?" Why yes, yes I should. But this is just how I am. I've come to terms with it - procrastinate, worry, study, matriculate, repeat.



Yesterday, I started two new plans on my Bible app and continued reading the Joyce Meyer Daily Devotional on her website which I am in LOVE with. I'm not quite sure where I read this, but the best time to speak with The Lord is in the morning when you're at your humblest self. So, I decided to try this theory out. My Bible app plans were great, of course, but Joyce Meyer really hit home for me. I've copy+pasted the devotional below:

At one point in Israel’s history, Israelites were dying in large numbers because a plague of snakes came upon them and were biting them as a result of their sin (see Numbers 21:6). What did their leader, Moses, do? He prayed. To solve the problem, Moses turned his attention immediately to God, not to himself or anyone else.
I have found that victorious people in the Bible faced their problems with prayer. They did not worry; they prayed. I ask you today: Do you worry or do you take your needs to God in prayer? Moses sought God about how to handle the snakes. He did not make his own plan and ask God to bless it; he did not try to figure out an answer in his mind, nor did he worry. He prayed, and his action brought a response from God. God told Moses to make a bronze serpent, set it on a pole and put it in front of the people. Every snake-bitten person who looked at it would live. The New Testament tells us this action represented the cross and Jesus’ taking our sin upon Himself: “Just as Moses lifted up the serpent in the desert [on a pole], so must . . . the Son of Man be lifted up [on the cross], in order that everyone who believes in Him . . . may not perish but have eternal life” (John 3:14, 15).
You and I still sin today, but the message of the bronze serpent still applies: “Look and live.” Look at Jesus and at what He has done, not at yourself and what you have done or can do. Hebrews 12:2 has great advice: “Looking away [from all that will distract] to Jesus, Who is the Leader and the Source of our faith . . .” The answer to your problem, whatever it may be, is not worry, but praying and trusting that Jesus is leading you.
Love God Today: Look to Jesus for the answer to every problem that you have! He loves it when you lean on Him.
Victorious people in the Bible faced their problems with prayer. Let's just think about that: every person who overcame trials and tribulations in the Bible used prayer for guidance. Now, I'm gonna be completely honest, whenever I face problems, I hardly ever use prayer. Ice cream, yes. Netflix, yes. HGTV, yes. But prayer? Not really.
One thing that I've learned in my journey with God is that He will not make you patient, but give you the opportunity to be patient. In my case, He did not make me stop worrying, but in fact gave me the opportunity to use His word to combat worry. And let me tell you, He gave me that opportunity in full force. Would I classify today as a pretty bad day? Most definitely. But I will say that I definitely felt God give me the opportunity to use His word instead of worrying. I feel much better about my day after reviewing the message and, while I don't feel like I completely my test perfectly, I think I made progress which makes me happy(ish). 
So, thanks Joyce Meyer for that awesome devotional and don't worry, be happy :)

You Might Also Like

0 comments

COMMUNITY