Grocery Shopping Like a Boss...On a Budget

8:30 AM

If you've known me for any length of time, you know that it truly pains me to see money leave my pocket. Some may call me cheap - I prefer the term frugal. In my opinion, spending more money on something than I need to is stupid. So I don't. Especially not on groceries. The experience has been trial and error but here are my tried and true ways to spend less money grocery shopping.

Coupon. Seriously, I cannot stress this enough! Coupons.com is a fantastic resource. All you have to do is download the plugin on your computer, clip and print. It's seriously that easy. In addition to this site, utilize the newspaper and weekly/biweekly inserts. I don't pay to get the paper every morning but I'll stop by a gas station on Sunday before or after church to pick up a Sunday paper. The amount of deals in that one paper is amazing. Also, most stores tend to have a coupon section of the website (coupons.target.com, coupons.walmart.com, etc.). These are powered by Coupons.com BUT they have store-specific coupons as well. There are limits on how many manufacturer coupons or store coupons you can use in one setting but pairing the two is always a win!
Apps to Download. I am infamous for using cashback and savings apps for my grocery store purchases. Here's the breakdown of my favorites below!
  • Ibotta - This app is by far one of my favorites simply because there are so many rebates & it's so easy to use. How to Use: Check out the items available for cash back offers at the grocery store of your choice. Add them to your shopping list by taking a one-question poll or watching a 15 second video. After checking out, click "Redeem" and take a picture of your receipt in full or the QR code. In less than 24 hours, they'll tell you how much cash back you've earned! Those funds stay in your Ibotta account until you receive $10. Then, you can transfer them to your PayPal account or use that money to purchase gift cards!

  • Snap by Groupon - Almost exactly like Ibotta but with less rebates. However, I've learned that some of the same rebates are available on both Snap and Ibotta so you can double up! The only true difference is that Snap rebates can be used at any store whereas Ibotta makes you choose which store you're going to. How to Use: Check out the items available for cash back offers. Add them to your shopping list. After checking out at the grocery store, click "Snap Receipt" and take a picture of your receipt in full. In about 24 hours, they'll add the funds to your Snap account. You'll have to wait until you hit $20 before you can transfer but it's still a great option!

  • Walmart Savings Catcher - When I moved into my new apartment, I found that it was easier to shop at Walmart than to shop at Bi-lo. While I miss the FuelPerks and try to catch the sales whenever I can, I find that using the Walmart app's "Savings Catcher" feature is worth the change! If you purchase an item at Walmart and a competitor has them advertised for a lower price, they'll give you the difference in the form of a Walmart gift card! How to Use: Shop as you normally would at Walmart. Take a picture of your receipt through the app and wait a day or so. You'll get a notification after they scan competitor prices and let you know if/how much you'll receive!

  • Cartwheel by Target - I love Target but I find some of their products to be a little pricey so when my boss told me about the Cartwheel app, I was so excited. This app offers extra percentages off of certain items, including groceries! How to Use: Type in the items that you need to purchase (milk, coffee creamer, shampoo, etc.) and the app will tell you how much percentage off you can receive when you buy it. (For example, right now you can get 5% off Market Pantry Milk, 15% off Deli Oven-Roasted Chicken, 20% off Pretzel Crisps and SO much more!) Expand the item you want by clicking on it, hit "Add" and have the cashier scan the barcode when you're checking out. They'll automatically take off those percentages and save you money.

Shop Off the Beaten Path - While all of these apps are immensely helpful, sometimes I try to avoid large grocery stores. There's an Aldi right down the street from my job and it's amazing. "Fit & Active" brand cereal bars and chips taste just as good as Kellogg and Tostitos for half the price. Plus, their fruits and vegetables are extremely inexpensive so it's a great place to go when you're trying to stay healthy without breaking the budget.

How do you save money grocery shopping? Any other apps I've missed?

You Might Also Like

0 comments

COMMUNITY