8 THINGS YOU LEARN AT YOUR 1ST REAL JOB

8:30 AM


It's been over one month since I walked across the stage and took on a new starting role: the real world. I can't lie - life is pretty good right now. Aside from the fact that I still live in my crappy student housing apartment and have to look forward to loans kicking in soon, I'm extremely happy. I was fortunate enough to graduate with a job already lined up for me (networking is KEY!) and I can honestly say that I have learned a lot in this past month and a half. Below are eight things that you'll learn, if you haven't already at your first "grown up" job.

  1. Waking Up Early is Ten Times Worse: I only had two classes that started before 9 AM throughout my entire college career. I would definitely call myself a morning person, but, in my mind, morning starts around nine. Now, I have to drive 25 minutes to get to my job on the other side of town to be there at eight o'clock in the morning. And guess what? It sucks. I've finally gotten into a routine that doesn't involve me throwing my alarm clock across the room or putting my phone in my nightstand drawer to muffle the sound and ya know what? It's still hard. Being in bed at 10:30 at night has never been so satisfying which brings me to my next point...
  2. Sleep Is VITAL: I'm not going to say that anything is impossible, but if you think going to sleep at 1 AM to wake up at 6:30 is conducive to productivity, that you are sadly mistaken. In college, I fell asleep whenever I felt like it and still had the energy (somehow) to wake up, go to class, work and internship. Well, those days are long gone now. If I don't get at least 7 hours of sleep, it takes the power of Jesus to get me out of bed in the morning. Brushing my teeth becomes a hardship, checking the weather is draining and don't even ask me about getting dressed. Unfortunately, I learned this one the hard way but early enough on that I didn't make staying up late a habit.
  3. Group Projects Are Forever: You know how group projects were always the most dreaded assignment? The first time you met with your group was good, but everything else went downhill from there, right? Don't worry, that never happens in a grown up job. SIKE. Seriously. I have meetings at least twice a week and they're probably the most draining part of my day. Sometimes they're great and everyone has awesome things to report, but sometimes I wish I had a stomach bug so I was vomiting to the point that I didn't have to come to work. (Yeah they get that bad.) Especially when they last forever. I hate to say it guys, but, like diamonds, group projects really are forever.
  4. People Are Stupid: Within the first few days of me being at my new job, one of my coworkers made an inappropriate comment regarding my race. Hashing out the dirty details isn't really my thing so let's just say she needed to work on her approach. Anyways, at the time, I was disgusted, angry, frustrated and about ten other emotions all in one. After speaking with my supervisor and making her supervisor aware, she came back and apologized. Her out-of-office environment allows for those types of comments whereas mine doesn't. Even though she apologized profusely, there was something still gnawing at me. We're not in college! You don't get to stay stupid things to me at work - we're grown ups! I thought. Well even in the real world, stupid people live and work everywhere. Do I wish that she hadn't made that comment, of course. But, especially in the real world, you have to deal realize and accept that people will be people and sometimes, they are stupid.
  5. Everybody Goes Out to Lunch: I don't know where this whole "let's go to lunch" obsession came from but I really don't know how I feel about it. Sure, I like getting out of the office every once in a while but going out to lunch every. single. day. seems super exhausting. My boss, her coworkers, her boss and his boss probably go out to eat lunch everyday. Doesn't that get expensive?
  6. Personalities Will Clash: Aside from the previously stated incident, people are genuinely nicer. However, I will not lie and say that everybody gets along. Especially in those horribly long meetings, personalities clash like the titans. I am extremely blunt but I try my hardest to be a nice person. When people are rude or in a crappy mood for no reason, I'm probably the one that'll ask if they're okay before I get nasty. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. Take it from me: the clash will occur and when it does, just be ready to hold your breath, count to ten, or do whatever your heart requires to calm down.
  7. Saving: Easier Said Than Done: Whenever I realized that I needed to start saving in college, my primary excuse was "Well, I'm hardly making any money anyways" (which is true) "so when I have more income and don't have to worry about spending all of the money I got back from loans, I'll start saving." Well here I am and saving is still hard. Yes, I have more money that I'm used to but most of it goes to groceries, gas and rent.  Then, with the money that I have left, I invest in some good grown up clothes...and wine. Hey, old habits die hard.
  8. Big Girl Clothes Are Expensive: A couple weeks ago, I walked into JCPenney with the assumption that I could buy a couple shirts without spending over twenty bucks. Imagine my surprise when I strolled over to the "professional wear" section, picked up a sleeveless collared shirt with a flowery print only to see that it was on sale for $25. ON SALE. Take me back to the days of $10 maxi skirts from Charlotte Russe and $4 tees at Forever 21. However, I did find out that H&M has amazingly priced pieces suitable for work and play, which has made this my new go-to store.
What have you learned about after starting your real world job? I'd love to hear! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

COMMUNITY