First Job Chronicles: Why Having Work Friends is Vastly Overrated

7:30 PM

Recently I wrote about the huge age gap between myself and my coworkers. The closest person in age to me is the young lady from my Intro & Personalities post, whose about five years older. I would not say that I don't like her, but our personalities definitely clash to point where we probably wouldn't be great friends. Not so sad, but true. Most of the people at my job are around in their late thirties, early forties which makes it really hard to try and make friends. But, while I'll never condone burning bridges, I do think the whole "Grey's Anatomy, dinner parties, weekend trips" work friendship is seriously overrated. 
Making friends is aggravating. I'm not gonna lie, I'm a pretty outgoing person. I love talking to new people, making new connections and having stimulating conversation. BUT, I will say that the actual process of making "friends" not just acquaintances isn't fun. Seriously - we just spent forty-five minutes redesigning marketing collateral and writing website copy and we still have a ton of stuff to get done. Can we save the female bonding for when I'm down to one project instead of six? 

Who will I vent to? Like most people, I need my vent sessions. Preferably not with people that I'm going to have to spend the entire day with. Are they great people? Yes? Do they need to know how pissed off I am about my job? Heck no.  

The only thing we have in common is…our place of employment. Most of the people that I work with graduated college with a degree in physical therapy, majored in exercise science or have endless medical certifications following their name. I am the complete opposite. While I love talking to the people that I work with, there are times when we have absolutely nothing to talk about because we have nothing in common. They eat cottage cheese for breakfast   

Do you plan on being there forever? Not that your relationships have to end when your employment at that location does but I find it rather hard to stay in contact with people once I've moved to a different location. While I love the people that I worked with when I was a student assistant on campus, I don't talk to them nearly as much which really kinda sucks.  

How do you feel about the idea of "work friends?" Let me know! 

You Might Also Like

0 comments

COMMUNITY